For the past few months we have been seeking God and praying for our communities and country. We have taken the word of God and applied to our prayers. As we continue that theme and praying for the upcoming elections in America, we find ourselves in the wisdom of Proverbs.
By the blessing of the upright a city is exalted, but by the mouth of the wicked it is overthrown. – Proverbs 11:11
If you are like me, so many thoughts so threw my mind concerning this piece of wisdom. I paused for a good moment of reflection to ask myself if I was being a blessing to the place God has planted me?
Jeremiah 29:4-7 provides more insight: “Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce. Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease. But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare. (emphasis added).
Brothers and sisters in Christ, reading the great wisdom literature of Proverbs and studying Jeremiah’s to the exiles, provides a great example of how we should be approaching our communities and country. No matter where you are planted.
How can we use Proverbs 11 to pray this week?
- God I thank you that I am able to be a blessing to (community you reside in). Through the love and humility demonstrated by Christ, may my life represent Christ calling to love God and love people.
- Pray for the community you are in. For leaders to have a relationship with Christ. For leaders to seek to glorify God in their service.
- Pray that Christ would be made known through the witness and service of this followers.
As you pray this week, specifically call out your community and the leaders by name.
Remember, instructions for the prayer movement are simple:
- Set your alarm/reminder on your device for 12 Noon EST each day for prayer. You only need to spend 3-5 minutes in corporate prayer with us. If you aren’t able to pray at 12 Noon EST, NO PROBLEM! Just pick a consistent time of prayer each day.
- Use the weekly blog/email as a template of how we are praying for the week. It will include a scripture reference + 3 key points to pray.
- Share on social media! Our desire to see God’s people come together as ONE in prayer. The more people that join the movement the better!